Thursday, May 22, 2014

Chrysalis House 5K

Last Saturday Jonathan and I ran in the Chrysalis House 5K at RJ Corman's property. We always love races on that course because it's a closed course and it's so beautiful. Plus they serve a full lunch with homemade ice cream after the race!  I knew a couple girls from my running group that would be running in the race and then I also ran in to a few of my MUMs girls at the race. So much fun to run in races where you know people and can cheer for them!

My goal for this race was to get below 30 minutes since in December I had been able to run a 5k in under 30 minutes. (Still nowhere close to my pre-kid 5k time but oh well.) The girls in my running group had been talking on facebook and we realized that there were three of us wanting to run in under 30 so we thought we'd run together. Unfortunately we all got split up during the beginning / weaving of the race. Afterwards we all laughed because I had one girl in my view the entire time and another girl said she kept me in her view the entire race. So I guess we ended up running around the same pace but just not together. Oh well. I love running with a running partner but I've gotten used to it being a single sport. I compete with myself and stay in my head the entire time.

The good news? I finished in under 30. The great news? I finished almost 2 minutes under my goal!! My official chip time was 28:05! I kind of couldn't believe it. We had uncharacteristically cool weather and I have a feeling that running in the cool weather helped my time. Either way I was pretty excited to get a post-kids PR!

The race was over 500 people and of course Jonathan placed 1st in his age group! He's pretty awesome! The big guns came out for this race because they gave out cash prizes for the top three male/female runners. So the fact that J got 1st in his age group with the practically professional runners racing is pretty impressive!

Here are some pictures from the race. (J's mom was kind enough to come in town to keep the kids so he could run without pushing them.)

Pre-race. Yes it was frigid and I was bound and determined to not get my pants out so I used my Zensah sleeves to keep my legs warm. I looked a bit silly but oh well. They did the trick. I wasn't too cold or too hot.
Some of the Lexington Moms Run This Town girls.
Some more MRTT girls.






Finish line picture. Yes, I passed her before we crossed:)
Some girls from my MUMs group! So fun to cheer for each other. 



All in all it was a great race day! We have one weekend off and then we're back at it the weekend afterwards. I love racing season!! 

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

So proud of your PR! I love running races with you!

Lindsy said...

Awesome - slashed your goal! Go girl.