Thursday, June 25, 2009

Memories

This morning my mom called to tell me that my childhood church burned down last night during the night. My entire family attended the church and all of my cousins and friends were married there, including Jonathan and myself. They actually announced my birth from the pulpit almost 28 years ago! I was really sad when I heard. I checked the news websites and watched the videos. It's just so sad. It was a really old building and they were having an air conditioning unit installed on the roof and that is where the fire started. It was a 2 alarm fire with over 40 firemen (firepeople? not sure what is politically correct) working to put out the fire. One news article said that it was over $3.5 million in damages. My dad went today to look at the damage and took some pictures. I wish I had a before picture.All day, memories of weddings, baptisms, funerals, church plays and my childhood just keep flashing in my mind. I mean we went to church Sunday morning, Sunday nights and Wednesday nights so I really spent a lot of childhood in this building. I know that a church is people and not a building, but the building holds just so many memories...

2 comments:

Sue said...

I'm sorry Abby! It's hard to see those memorable places suffer such damage, as if we lose a piece of ourselves in the mix. I can't help but think of all those who still attend that congregation too as they've lost their weekly home :-(

Sending hugs to you! Glad you can hold tightly to those memories though ;-)

Lindsy said...

Oh my goodness! That is awful. Thankful you got to have your wedding there though - it was beautiful. So tragic though - sorry to hear the news.