Monday, October 25, 2010

Applesauce 2010

Growing up, my mom always made homemade applesauce and let's just say that I'm spoiled.  I can't eat the grocery store stuff because it's just nowhere close to homemade.  Billie and I decided last year to get together to make applesauce.  Remember this post where Billie was just as far along as I am right now and she was all cute and prego while we made applesauce?  Well we decided to do applesauce again this year.  We put it off a couple weeks due to sickness in Billie's household.  It ended up working well because since my parents were coming in town this weekend for a wedding, they brought us two bushels of apples from an orchard (they are wayyy cheaper back home than they are here!)

I didn't get too many pictures this year because we were busy working, but here are a couple pictures.

This magical machine is what makes it all happen!

  Stiring the new batch into the giant bowl of pretty applesauce.
  
Eli enjoyed helping!  He knows the goodness that comes out of this machine!  (It's crazy to think that next year at this time, Adalyn will be this age and Eli will have a little playmate to keep him company!)

From about 2.5 bushels of apples, we ended up with 44 ziploc bags of finished applesauce to freeze for the rest of the year! YUM! 

Another successful round of applesauce making!  It wore Jonathan and Eli out.  I don't blame them.  They did work SO hard... ahem... :)

2 comments:

Sue said...

YUM! My Mom always made homemade applesauce too so store bought is repulsive to me too! I have this funky cone thing my Mom gave me to make mine. I really need to pull mine out and make some. Mmmm.

I loved seeing little Eli too - he's SO big already! Can't wait to see pics next year with you and Adalyn!! (Do you think you'll have a nickname for her?)

Hugs xo

Lindsy said...

Cute picture of Jonathan and Eli. How did the wedding go?