Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Goodwill Crafts

Jes and I went Goodwill-ing last week and I felt like a dork because the entire time I was in the different Goodwill stores I kept saying..."oh I saw this on a blog" or "I saw this blogger remake something like this into something really cool". Maybe I read too many blogs? I never think of myself as being creative, but I feel like I got inspired thanks to those blogs.

The first thing I got was this cool planter for $2.50.  I liked the design and it didn't even need to be painted.  I didn't know where I'd use it but I figured I'd find a spot for it in a spring decoration.  I ended up filling it with newspaper bunched up catalog pages (FREE) and laid some moss (from Hobby Lobby) on top and it was a perfect spot for my little ducky to sit. (The duck is from Pier1 after Easter last year.)

 Here is a look at the other side of the mantle...just because.  I thought that little bunny looked cute in the apothecary jar.  Not sure if this will stay this way or if it will shift again before Easter. But  for now I like it!
 This little beauty was my prize! I saw it on the shelf at Goodwill and I went straight over to it to see if it was glass.  It was.  And thanks to the Thrifty Decor Chick, I knew just what I would do with it! She always has cute decorations in remade glass domes and I love them. So I tried to channel my inner-thrifty-decor-chick and this is what I came up with.
 What a steal! Only $1.50! I think I actually remember these back in the 80's maybe? Wow it is U-G-L-Y!
 I finally got the glass pried off.  It was stuck on there well and the glass was thin so I was trying to be so gentle!  Let's not talk about the smell that came out when I got the glass off... I used Goo Gone to get that glue off of the glass.
 I grabbed some of this at Lowes:
 And took my project outside.  I gave the base two coats.
 Um...I guess I could have used a different area of the grass so that my front yard wasn't left with big white circles. Don't tell Jonathan:) That watering can was $1.50 and I forgot to take before pictures and I'm not finished with it yet. It's going to be cute though!
 Dakota is standing guard trying to figure out what mommy is doing. Please disregard that hideous brass on my screen door. Bleh.  That will be a project this summer. I'll be using some spray paint to see if I can "remake" my door.
 I took my sanding block out to distress the base.
 And this is what I came up with! I can't wait to find something new for each season to go in my snow-less snow globe:)  I think this little chick looks so cute. My mom bought it for Adalyn for Easter and I think it's just so adorable! Now to find a perfect place to put it!
I had so much fun working on these projects!! I think I need to hang out at thrift stores more often! It's fun to remake something that I would normally walk on past into something cute!

3 comments:

Aishlea said...

Cute Cute Cute! :) I'm so not creative like that!

{will run for margaritas} said...

So cute!! I'd love to know what blogs you are looking at for the creative ideas! I love what you did! :)

Anonymous said...

me too!!! i need more ideas for crafts from goodwill please!!! thanks doll!!!