Sunday, September 27, 2009

Everlasting God

We sang "Everlasting God" today in church and it really struck me that whether we want to or not, we have to wait upon the Lord, but that waiting will strengthen us. Back when Jonathan was without a job last winter, the words in this song really hit home and I felt like it was written just for me. I could barely get through it without choking up. But now other things in life, including waiting to hear about my job situation (I should hear something in the next 2 days) make me realize how many kinds of "waiting" this can be applied to in life. It's kinda like I get over one hill or trail only to be faced with another. But God knows that and He will give me the strength to keep waiting on His timing.

Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord
We will wait upon the Lord
We will wait upon the Lord

Our God, You reign forever
Our hope, our Strong Deliverer
You are the everlasting God
The everlasting God
You do not faint
You won't grow weary

Our God, You reign forever
Our hope, our Strong Deliverer
You are the everlasting God
The everlasting God
You do not faint
You won't grow weary

You're the defender of the weak
You comfort those in need
You lift us up on wings like eagles

That last part is my favorite. I remember looking at the wall in my elementary and high school gym (one in the same) and seeing a big eagle (our mascot) painted on the wall along with Isaiah 40:31.

...but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

I love the picture of being lifted on wings like eagles. No matter how weak I feel, God will give me strength to get through the trials I face...even when my life feels so unsettled on the job front. He has a plan, so I will wait on Him.

4 comments:

Janine said...

What's going on with work? I like the lyrics of this song...sometimes my human nature makes me forget that He has a plan, and I just need to be patient.

Justin and Jessica said...

I love that song! You're absolutely right ... we get over one hurdle and have to face the next.

I hope you have a good week!

(PS - I just realized that I hadn't responded to your email ... will do that soon! :))

Lindsy said...

I love this song too. It always makes me choke up though because it's just awesome to feel that reassurance and be reminded of it through praise. Glad to know about the job news becuase I was wondering when you would know something.

Sue said...

Amen my Sweet Friend... Hang in there as you sit in the waiting room of life. I can assure you, that if you work with Him during the wait, it makes the waiting so much easier ;-) Praying for you!! xo