Friday, July 29, 2011

Blueberry Girl

No, I'm not talking about Violet from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. 
I'm talking about my sweet baby.  Yesterday afternoon I made a new blend of baby food with mangos (she loves them) and blueberries (a new food). I was pouring it into freezer containers while she was eating lunch (my mom was feeding her), so I thought that maybe she would like a few bites of fruit with her lunchtime veggie. So I spooned just a tiny bit into a bowl for her to try.  She LOVED it! YUM.

After eating, my mom got her out of her high chair and gave her to me so I could feed her a bottle.  In that short amount of time I looked at her and her face and neck were covered in red splotchy welts.  Then it started in on her chest and arms.  It freaked me out but I knew it had to be a reaction to the blueberries because I've heard that even though it is recommended to give a food 3 days for a reaction before starting a new food, that food reactions are usually immediate. I was on the phone with the doctor's office as soon as I could retrieve the number from my phone and they wanted to see her.  Thankfully she didn't have any problems breathing, so the doctor said that is the "good" reaction to have.  Needless to say, she will not be trying any sort of berries for a while.  The doctor said I could try a little amount after 12 months but I'm not sure I want to try that soon.  Thankfully most kids grow out of berry allergies, but I'll tell you that it was a bit of a scary situation.  It's not something that you ever fathom seeing on your child!  This is one of the main reasons that I am always present when we try a new food and I never send an untried food to the sitter.  You just never know. We don't have food allergies in our family and I would have never guessed that she would have a reaction to a blueberry.  I am so thankful that it was only a couple bites and not a full portion and that it was homemade so that I know it wasn't a reaction to the additives or preservatives in jarred stuff!  I'm also thankful that the splotches went away quickly and she was back to her normal self while we were in the doctor's office.

Kids...you never know when your afternoon trips to Panera, Hobby Lobby and Kroger are going to be nixed and you'll just end up at the doctor's office!

3 comments:

badesjarlais said...

So glad she's ok! I bet you were freaking out! Good job taking care of things though, Mama. :)

Sue said...

Oh my goodness, Abby! Scary. Who would have thought blueberries would cause such a reaction & so quickly? Hopefully she will grow out of it because blueberries are SOOOOOO good! lol

Hugs xo

Crystal said...

Oh no! Glad she is alright! I haven't given Macey blueberries yet, but I think I might wait a little longer now.